- May 27, 2007. Contra Costa Times. Title: "Holy Astro Boy! Manga goes mainstream," by Robert Taylor. Courtesy of media conglomeratization, the same article
also appeared in different formats in numerous other Medianews Group newspapers
in the Bay Area, including the Oakland Tribune (May 29, 2007), The Piedmonter (June 8, 2007), The Montclarion (June 8,
2007), the Hayward Daily Review, the San Mateo County Times, the Tri-Valley
Herald, the Alameda Times-Star, The Argus, and many others.
- May 31, 2007. Wired. com. Title: "Museum Show Spotlights Artistry of Manga God Osamu Tezuka," by Lisa Katayama.
- June 3, 2007. KRON-TV. Interview by Henry Tannenbaum of Philip Brophy and
Fred Schodt on "The Marvel of Manga."
- June 6, 2007. SFGATE.COM. Title: ASIAN POP Astro Boy Forever". Interview by Jeff Yang.
- June 6, 2007. Los Angeles Times. "Tezuka forever changed the genre," by Michael J. Ybarra. Mentions Dreamland Japan.
- June 12, 2007. San Jose Mercury Times. "Visual arts review: Manga meets mainstream at San Francisco Asian Art Museum of S.F." by Mike Antonucci.
- June 15-21. Asian Week. "Tooning into Manga; Asian Art Museum draws Crowd to New Exhibit," by Megan Kung.
- June 19, 2007 (10:00am). Forum, a KQED 88.5 FM radio call-in show. "Forum explores the growth of Manga, a form of serialized comics extremely
popular in Japan. Host: Michael Krasny." Archived here.
- July 12, 2007. Nichi Bei Times. "Tezuka, the Ambassador of Manga", by Ben Hamamoto.
- July 20, 2007. Anime Today podcast interview, conducted by Shawne Kleckner and Alison Roberts of Right Stuf. Note that the interview is in three parts, and that it's possible to
fast forward to each one.
- July 23, 2007. KNTV NBC11's Bob Redell briefly interviews Fred and shows the cover of the Astro Boy Essays in
the context of a piece on the Tezuka: Marvel of Manga exhibit at the San Francisco Asian Art Museum. Bob, it turns out, is also
a graduate of ASIJ high school in Tokyo, Japan.
- August 14, 2007. Daily Yomiuri. In a well-rounded and wide-ranging article titled "Tezuka Manga
Faces Tough Transition to New Media," technology and culture writer
John Jerney examines the present and future of manga. Written in conjunction
with the Tezuka: Marvel of Manga exhibit, Jerney mentions the Astro Boy
Essays and interviews Fred.
- September 19, 2007. Animation Insider. Aaron H. Bynum conducts a lengthy email interview with Yours Truly, about
Tezuka, Mighty Atom, Astro Boy, and The Astro Boy Essays
- November 19, 2007. Galley Cat. My talk at the Japan Society of Northern California, on November 14th,
is titled "America's Manga Mentor Lectures on Astro Boy".
- December 3, 2007. Kansai Time Out runs a lovely, illustrated excerpt from The Astro Boy Essays, saying that "As Tezukafs personal interpreter and author of the first comprehensive introduction to manga in English, the 1983 Manga! Manga! The World of Japanese Comics, few are better qualified than Schodt to discuss Japanfs greatest cartoon creation."
- December, 2007. The Hong Kong-based studio, Imagi International, which is producing a new Astro Boy feature film for release in 2009, has posted a long interview with me.
Check the Imagi website and click "What's New" at the bottom of the page to
find the interview. The web page is in flash and takes a while to load,
so some patience is required.
- December 12, 2007. Newsarama. Chris Arrant's lengthy interview with me is titled "The Impact of
Tezuka--Talking to Frederik Schodt", and it has generated lots of
- December 14, 2007. In "The BEAT: The News Blog of Comics Culture,"
on the Publisher's Weekly website, Heidi MacDonald highlights Chris Arrant's interview with me (
on Newsarama) as part of her "Extra Credit Reading Weekend" column.
- February, 2008. Book News Inc. (specializing in concise coverage of scholarly, reference, & sci-tech-med
books), lists Astro Boy Essays as one of the books appearing in its Art Book News Annual.
- July, 2008. Frederick W. Marrazzo's October 14, 2004 interview with Fred (for KMTV) is posted on YouTube, with mentions of Astro Boy Essays on his blog, Marrazzopolo.
- September 19, 2008. The Guardian. Andrew Osmond mentions The Astro Boy Essays and quotes from Yours Truly in an article titled (alas), "When animators get horny; Andrew Osmond on X-rated manga." The article was written in conjunction with the Osamu Tezuka: Movies into Manga exhibit at the Barbican, in London, U.K., and is about Tezuka's adult-oriented
animation. It's curated by the intrepid author and anime connoiseur, Helen
- July 21, 2009. USA Today. Extensive quotes in article on Imagi's upcoming Astro Boy feature film.
- October 13, 2009. The Sci-Fi Block. Robert Ring interviews "Astro Boy Expert Frederik L. Schodt" in a lenghthy, raw review titled "Insights from the Author of 'The Astro Boy Essays".
- October 23, 2009. Los Angeles Times. Charles Solomon reviews the new Astro Boy film and quotes Yours Truly extensively in an article titled: "Astro Boy was role model who revolutionized manga."
- October, 2009.Cultural News runs a long synopsis of my talk at Paul Terasaki's Nibei Foundation on July 14, 2009.